Sunday, November 2, 2014

Enrichment in NOLA


The Adventure in October

The month of October has brought about new adventures and new opportunities. Having recovered, for the most part, from my appendectomy, I was able to play soccer with our intramural soccer team "Pharmers Only."  I also was accepted to the Volunteer Research Program with the Department of Anesthesiology, an opportunity about which I am extremely exhilarated.  I am continuing to work with scheduling in order to begin in November and am looking forward to it and can't wait to have that experience to write about.  I am particularly excited to see how my knowledge gained through the Pharmacology classes with affect and enrich my research experience and how the research will enhance my pharmacological understanding. 

On the non-academic side of life, I am continuing to go out and experience what New Orleans has to offer.  Recently I was privileged to attend an organ and opera concert hosted by St. Patrick’s Church.  It was free to the public, which I thought was absolutely wonderful.  Most operas and other events of the sort are very expensive and such that only those that are well-endowed monetarily can attend.  Having this opportunity available to the impecunious is truly beautiful.  It is amazing to have opportunities like this available to all.

I find that this experience brings forth the importance of churches and charity in many aspects.  Although I am reaping the benefits in the realm of the arts, this also gives me an opportunity to reflect on the profound influence churches and other non-profit organizations can have in many fields, such as education and medicine.  Elegant beauty in music, a good education, and good medical care: these are not things that should be limited to those in the upper echelons of economic society. 

(2 hrs community service)

No comments:

Post a Comment